Autism mom burnout recovery requires the right care and attention.
As an autism mom, it is important that you take steps to overcome the stress when parenting a special needs child. But with so many suggestions out there, it can be overwhelming to know how to even get started.
That’s not a problem anymore, because that’s what we’re going to talk about in this post.
Below are three simple yet powerful tips to help you relax and recover from autism mom burnout.
1. Get Emotionally Healthy and Say Goodbye to Autism Mom Burnout
When you are under stress, and emotions are running high, it can appear challenging to feel peaceful, which is why you need to focus on emotional well-being as a first step.
Autism mom burnout is a result of not knowing how to process difficult emotions, you’re doing so much and you’re doing your best to care for your child, but sometimes it can appear like it just isn’t enough. Which can take a toll on your emotional well being. It will be beneficial to consider the below points to find balance and healing.
- Replace expectation with acceptance: We’re going to look at the root cause of the issues, instead of trying to deal with them on the surface. Maybe you learned about the diagnosis for your child recently, or it has been a while. What is important is that you have accepted the reality that your child is different, and may lead his life not as you may have expected. You were not prepared for this reality, but; it is a fact, and it is necessary to embrace it. This acceptance will allow you to see your child as he is, not someone with a disorder, but someone who is different. Unique in his own way. It’s a relief to know that your child is how he is, and he need not be any other way. This is total and complete acceptance, and it can liberate you from the burden of expectations, which is the root cause of the ongoing stress.
- Let-go of the guilt: Autism moms often worry about the past, thinking if they could have done something differently, if they could have picked the signs earlier enough to help their child. They feel guilty that they were not being good enough. Here’s good news! There’s no such thing as a perfect mother. Yes, it is always great to strive to do your best, but never beat yourself up for the past. Let-go of any guilt or resentment, and focus on the present. Because it is all that matters. It’s about growth, not just for your child, but for yourself. So maybe you made some mistakes in the past, what is important is to learn from them, and be wiser because of them. It’s all about focusing on living to your fullest potential, and helping your child do the same.
- Take a deep breath, and then take two more: Whenever you feel anxious, draw your attention to your breath, this will help you breathe more consciously, more fully, and help calm down your nervous system. This can be greatly beneficial and set you on the path of recovery from chronic stress. Simply witnessing difficult emotions, and breathing fully helps you get into the peace of the present moment. As you drop the struggle you can handle any situation with great ease.
2. Get an Energy Boost to Avoid Autism Mom Burnout
Energy is limited in supply, and to recover from autism mom burnout, you will need to ensure you get a regular boost of energy. The best part is, it is easy to recharge with the steps outlined below:
- Go for a walk: Yes, you can do a lot of things to improve your stamina, and be ready for the day, including yoga, and it is great if you can do that, but if you are short of time, then the least you can do is go for a walk, preferably in the morning. Walking has so many health benefits, so consider making that a part of your routine. The fresh air and the morning sun will help you recharge for the day, and is an easy way to start recovering from autism mom burnout.
- Drink plenty of water: Again, this may seem like basic advice, but it is so easy for people to not give enough attention, until they start feeling dehydrated. Drinking enough water contributes to the healthy flow of energy and helps balance your emotions.
- Spend some time alone or meditate: Being alone for some time makes it possible for you to be present. Whether with friends or family, you will be able to be present with them if you have first taken some time out for yourself. It could be as simple as sitting quietly, doing nothing, or if you know how to meditate, go for it. It is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. The gift of doing nothing, and it is a surefire way to help you recover from autism mom burnout.
3. Develop an Unwavering Intent
Get clear on how you intend to show up as a mother. It means doing whatever it takes to recover from autism mom burnout. What it will do for you is give you a focus. Focus that you will not want to falter from. It is this strong, unwavering intent that will help you sail through the challenges of parenting an autistic child.
There are plenty of examples of mothers out there who had various kinds of challenging situations they overcame, and their children grew up to be a blessing to the world.
Experiencing autism mom burnout is something you can easily recover from when you decide to take charge and come from this place of strength.
If you ever feel low, or need encouragement, remember Jon Morrow. He has to be in a wheelchair most of the time, because he can’t move from below his neck. And he is one of the most successful bloggers out there. His is one inspiring story. But what is most inspiring is the spirit of his mother, who stood her ground and refused to accept a life of mediocrity for him.
Every mother has that spirit. Refuse to accept mediocrity for your child. When he looks in your eyes, let him see not a woman who is full of despair, not someone who is lost, but a woman whose strength knows no weakness. The strength of a mother’s love is beyond imagination. You have no idea how strong you are, and it is time for you to own it!
Each time you overcome a parenting situation, you get stronger and wiser. Set this as a part of your intent. Your unique child is a gift to you, each day you care for him, you learn what it is to love, you learn what it is to be selfless, you learn what it is to be a conscious and empathetic human being.
Every day, read your intent out loud. Read it as many times as you need to, as you go about your day, this will help you take charge and avoid autism mom burnout.
Hold this strong intent and live by it.
You want your child to live a great life, YES! He can. Just don’t worry about the how anymore. Focus on your intent, and the how will take care of itself.
Are you ready to say yes to your life? And yes to your child?
Do this, and you will see that stress is melting away from your life, and is being replaced with more peace and joy.
Check out this video where I share one word that will help you create more peace and avoid autism mom burnout
I hope you enjoyed reading this article, and felt stronger because of it. If you need more help on how to recover from autism mom burnout, get in touch with me.